As communicated in MC220490 (August 20), Microsoft 365 apps and services will be focusing their efforts on modern browser support over the coming year. As a result, the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) after November 30, 2020. After November 30, 2020, users will be unable to access the Teams web app from IE 11 and be notified to use the desktop app or access the web app from Microsoft Edge.
Please note that the IE 11 changes are specific to the Teams web app. IE 11 remains a supported browser as a component of the Windows operating system and will follow the Lifecycle Policy for the product on which it is installed.
Microsoft Teams (web app)
- Timing: The Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 after November 30, 2020.
- Action: To access Microsoft Teams, use the Win-32 app, the new Microsoft Edge, or another supported browser.
How this will affect your organization:
After November 30, 2020, Teams will need to be accessed via the new Microsoft Edge, another supported browser, or through the Teams Win-32 app. The Teams web app will not be accessible from IE 11 after this date
To access the Teams web app, we recommend the new Microsoft Edge browser for fast, responsive access to Teams with Microsoft’s latest security. You can also still run business-critical, Internet Explorer-based apps and sites in the new Microsoft Edge through Internet Explorer mode.
What you need to do to prepare:
- To address this announcement, upgrade to the new Microsoft Edge prior to November 30, 2020. The Teams web app will continue to support the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge is the planned replacement for Microsoft Edge Legacy; if you already have the new Microsoft Edge on your device(s), no action is required.
- You will want to notify your users to access Teams using the Win-32 app, the new Microsoft Edge, or another supported browser.
- You will also want to update any applicable user training and prepare your help desk.
- If you’d like help to upgrade all your organization’s devices to the new Microsoft Edge, FastTrack can help with deployment and configuration at no additional charge for customers with eligible Microsoft 365 subscriptions.
- For help with web app and site compatibility, learn more about the App Assure program.
- Read more about this change in the Lifecycle announcement.
- Our blog also provides more information about this announcement.
- Additional reminder: Microsoft 365 apps and services (excluding Teams) will no longer support IE 11 as of August 17, 2021. For more information, read the Lifecycle announcement or our blog.